Anna Laubscher began making dolls in 1915 as dolls were not freely available in South Africa during the First World War. Anna and her family lived in Graaff-Reinet. Anna designed the doll’s body and painted the face and her mother designed the head. Anna’s studio became a doll factory. There were girls, boys, and old men employed. These dolls are known as the Graaff-Reinet dolls. The Graaff-Reinet doll is seated in the front on the left hand side.